Dear String Project Family,
Congratulations to all the students for a wonderful and successful Eclectic Styles Festival last Saturday! I hope everybody found the day enjoyable and eventful, as I sure did! The students’ performances were remarkable; all of the practice they have been doing has truly paid off.
Now that we are finished with the Eclectic Styles Festival, we will be moving full speed ahead to our Winter Concert, one Saturday at a time. This Saturday’s schedule has been attached. It is also a UT Home football game this Saturday, with a kickoff at 2:30pm. As it is an earlier kickoff, there will be a lot of congestion on the streets. Please keep in mind that those with parking permits will still not be allowed to park on campus. I would recommend arriving early, carpooling, or getting dropped off, if possible!
There are a few things coming up in the next few weeks that I’d like to preview:
1) The last week of private lessons will be the week of November 14th. This means that students will only be having 2 or 3 more lessons for the rest of the semester. If for some reason you missed a lesson earlier this semester, you may try to arrange a make-up lesson on the week of Thanksgiving, given that your teacher is available. String Project will also be on break for November 26th due to Thanksgiving break.
2) Juries will be taking place between Monday, November 28th to Thursday, December 1st. Juries are when students come to play a solo piece and show the jury panel (String Project faculty) how they have been progressing, and then get an outside perspective on things to focus on in the future. For the fall semester, you should only be taking juries if you are one of the following:
- A full-time student in the instrumental program (EXCEPT FOR CADETS).
- Any student planning to play a promotional jury to advance to the next level
Students planning to play a promotional jury must have written approval from their private teacher (in the form of a signed copy of the Posture/Position Checklist), and be fully prepared to complete all the requirements for their target promotion according to the Promotional Guidelines. The Posture/Position Checklist and the Promotional Guidelines can be found under “Student Resources”, “Document and Forms” on our website: stringproject.music.utexas.edu.
The sign-up sheets for jury times will be available starting NEXT week, November 5th. The sign-up sheets will be posted on Saturday 11/5 and 11/12.
3) The due date for Honors Recital tapes is November 19th. The Honors Recital is a chance for students of all levels to perform for the entire String Project family during our Spring Convocation next semester, accompanied by a professional pianist. String Project faculty will evaluate all videos submitted and select 10 participants based off of their ability to demonstrate excellent fundamentals, such as tone, intonation, rhythm, and musicality. If you are interested in submitting a video, please consult your teacher and the Honors Recital Form (which can be found in your convocation folder that you received at the beginning of the year). If you need an additional copy of the form, please email the String Project email and I will send one over to you.
4) One calendar clarification: The Dress Rehearsal for the Winter Concert will take place on 11/12. We decided to move it from 11/19 due to Region Orchestra.
Lastly, I would like to share with you part of a discussion about the consistency of student progress. It became obvious in this discussion with the teachers that the students who are making the most consistent progress are the ones that are listening daily to their Suzuki recordings. Please ensure that your children are listening every day.
That’s all for this week. More details for the above topics will be sent out as the dates come closer. I hope everybody has a wonderful rest of the week!
All the best,